Looking for a digital way to get your students to practice Reading Skills? My digital Reading Skill task cards are a perfect and easy way to get students to understand this skill. The task cards are self-differentiating with NO extra work from you!
These specific task cards are a differentiated and personalized way to get all of your students the practice that they each individually need. These task cards are unlike ANY OTHER task cards you’ve ever purchased! They will give you loads of data on your students’ AND differentiate how much time and practice each of your students get without you having to do ANY extra work!
Here is some important information about these differentiated task cards:
- The digital version of these task cards work on Google Slides, Google Classroom and PowerPoint. These are NOT self grading task cards! Students will need to digitally turn in their recording sheet to you in order to grade.
- The students will NOT be completing all 30 task cards. That is not the way these are designed. Instead, students will move faster or slower through the 30 task cards based on their correct or incorrect answers.
- Students will simply read the question and tap their answer. Based on their answer, the student will jump either 1 card up or up to 5 cards ahead depending on the embedded formula. There is not a way to turn the formula off.
- A recording sheet as been provided. You will want to make sure the students completely understand that they are not going to be completing all 30 of the cards. They will be skipping around. Each student has his/her own path. Let the students know that any questions that are skipped, an X can be placed in that box. This is also written for them in the directions of the recording sheet.
The questions in the 30 task card set are designed to go in order from least difficult to most difficult. (See more information about the levels and concepts on page 3!)
- Cards 1 – 5 are introduction to the concept and use of main vocabulary
- Cards 6 – 10 are DOK Level 1 or “Remembering” level questions
- Cards 11 – 15 are DOK Level 1 but with a different question type
- Cards 16 – 20 are DOK Level 2
- Cards 21 – 25 are DOK Level 2 but with a different question type
- Cards 26 – 30 are DOK Level 3
Knowing the card levels is important. When students turn in their recording sheet to you – it is important to look for where their frustration level occurred to better support them. For example – if a student turns in a recording sheet and has many X’s up until card #’s 16, then you know this child’s frustration level began at the DOK Level 2 and with that specific question type. Therefore when working with this child in a small group you can skip the basic level of understand and go right to where this child needs more support.
Grading the recording sheet is no longer about right or wrong answers. The students, without knowing, did this on his/her own. When you collect the recording sheets, you now need to focus on the number of questions that were answered and where the frustration level occurred (mentioned above). Here is a quick guideline of how the # of questions answered applies to the child’s level of understanding:
- High Students (in this skill) will complete anywhere from 6 – 12 questions
- Average Students (in this skill) will complete anywhere from 13 – 21 questions
- Low Students (in this skill) will complete 22 – 30 questions.
So when you are flipping through the recording sheets you can simply look for who answered the most questions and then focus on on where those questions were in accordance to the DOK levels.
Overall, this task card system is designed to help you better give your students a more personalized experience. Students who do not need to spend 20 minutes doing task cards will no longer do so. They will get their 6 – 12 questions complete and then move onto something that will better suit their needs. Students who DO need this review and practice will continue to get it. And YOU as the teacher will gather more appropriate data on frustration levels to better support one on one or in small groups, the needs of your students.
If you and your students loved this activity you can get all 16 sets in the Bundle for just $48. That’s 450 task cards for just $48!!